There are many variations of this stew, but this one concentrates on being low in calories and fat but still has a rich hearty flavor. If you and your family are lovers of short rib stew, you will not be disappointed. It is especially satisfying on a cold winter night. The smell of it cooking all day in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker will be a treat you will remember.
1 1/3 cup stew with 1 /2 tablespoons sauce will be 325 calories, 13 grams total fat, 5 grams sat. fat, 0 grams trans-fat, and 26 grams protein.
- 3 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 ¼ pound boneless beef short ribs
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 ½ cups of carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- Trim the fat and cut short ribs into 2 inch pieces.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper and place in a plastic bag. Place short ribs into bag.
- Shake the bag until the short ribs are coated with the flour mixture.
- Sear the ribs in a medium-high heat in a heavy skillet that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Make sure they are browned on all sides. This will take from 7 to 10 minutes. You may need to do this in 2 or 3 batches depending on the size of the skillet. Do not crowd the meat while searing.
- Scrub and cut potatoes into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Chop onion.
- Cut up carrots into bite size pieces.
- Finely mince garlic
Place beef ribs in the bottom of a slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients on top of the ribs in the slow cooker.Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low in a 6 quart slow cooker.
Optional: If a sauce is desired to place over the stew immediately before serving mix together:
7 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons minced chives
For Great Short Ribs We Recommend