This recipe can be made in a slow cooker or on top of the stove. The stove top method is made the same way only the cooking time is 2 hours. I prefer the crock pot because the meat can sometimes be tenderer, but both ways are delicious. This 6 1/2 quart programmable Cuisinart slow cooker would be great to cook this meal in.
This makes 4 servings.
- Cut 1 ½ pound lean lamb stew meat into one inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Dredge in ¼ cup all-purpose flour.
- Sear meat in a sauté pan in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then move to crock pot with a slotted spoon.
- Add a thinly sliced large onion into sauté pan and cook onions for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water in sauté pan and stir until all the bits on the pan have loosen up.
- Add the mixture from the pan in the slow cooker on top of the meat.
- Add one cup small baby carrots.
- Add two cups wedged potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
- Add ½ teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Any other frozen vegetables, such as peas, can also be added at this point.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour.
Vegetables can be added or replaced. Some other vegetables that are used in lamb stew are rutabagas and turnips.
You could substitute some of the water for the gravy with beef stock.
Also use any other favorite herbs, such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or a bay leaf.
For a wonderful flavor some like to fry several pieces of bacon and use the bacon drippings to sear the lamb in. If you are watching your cholesterol this might not be such a good idea, but I am sure it is absolutely delicious.
Some people like to add mushrooms. If mushrooms are added at the beginning of the cooking they will become soggy, so add them the last hour with herbs for best results.
Others like to add greens, such as spinach, the last hour of cooking.
Many believe this stew is at its best if it sits in the refrigerator overnight and then is just reheated the next day.
If you want to add eggplants to this stew, use a tomato base. Also add paprika. If you are an eggplant lover, you will love this! If you are a vegan—leave out the lamb.
You can leave the potatoes out and serve this over noodles or rice.
This is the kind of recipe I love because you adjust it accordingly to your taste and to what you have in the pantry and refrigerator. So get started, be creative, and make something absolutely delicious.
For This Delicious Lamb Stew Recipe We Recommend