I like beef stew all year round. Some people think it is a winter meal, but it has such a savory taste that I would miss eating it for 6 months out of the year. Slow cooker beef stew is loved by all and so easy to make. And it is healthy with the fresh ingredients that can be added.
I especially like it made in the crock pot. It is no work at all if you do the prep work ahead of time. Put it on in the morning and you are done for the day! How great is that? Some cooks make this without browning the meat and just throw everything in the slow cooker and turn it on. I have a slow cooker that has a browning stage, so I usually brown any meat first because I think that adds extra flavor. Here is a slow cooker with the browning setting included. But the spices in this recipe may add the flavor where you feel you don’t need to include that extra step. Try both ways and see if you prefer one over the other.
- 2 ½ pounds of beef stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- 3 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- Cut beef stew into 1 inch cubes.
- Finely mince garlic.
- Dice onion.
- Dice potatoes. I usually get thin skinned potatoes and leave the peeling on. This adds fiber and flavor.
- Slice carrots. Scrape onions before slicing to remove any bad spots.
- Chop celery. I like to break the celery in half and pull off as many of the fibrous strings as possible.
Option 1: Coat beef with flour, salt, and pepper. Either brown meat with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet or brown in slow cooker, if you have one that has that feature.
Option 2: Put beef in slow cooker and sprinkle with flour, salt, and pepper. Thoroughly mix together.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Cook 10 to 12 hours on low or 4 to 6 on high.
- Use seasoned salt in place of regular salt.
- An easy way to coat the beef is to place it in a plastic bag with the flour and salt and pepper and shake until covered.
- Add ½ cup red wine.
- Add a packet of beef stew seasoning mix.
- Don’t forget to add some crusty bread.
- You can leave out the celery.
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Double the beef froth if you don’t add wine for a more liquid type stew.
- Add a package of dry onion soup instead of the onion and garlic.
- Add other herbs. If using fresh, add the last 30 minutes.
- Use baby carrots instead of slicing large carrots into pieces.
- Add extra vegetables such as turnips, peas, green beans and/or corn.
- Add a can of your favorite beans.
- Instead of potatoes, try substituting thick al dente noodles.
As you can see, this recipe is ideal for making it your own. Add what you want and delete what you don’t want.
Extra Note: The meat will be more tender if the slow cooker doesn’t boil. Each slow cooker is different, so make adjustments according to the settings on your particular slow cooker.
For Delicious Beef Stew We Recommend